- University of Western Ontario (M.L.S.)
- Carleton University (English, Honours equivalency)
- University of Western Ontario (B.A. English)
- July 2014–June 2015. University Librarian (Acting), Trent University, Peterborough.
- January 2013–June 2014. Research and Development Librarian, Trent University, Peterborough.
- August 2006–December 2012. Systems Librarian, Trent University, Peterborough.
- September 2004–2006. Interim Systems Librarian, Robertson Library, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
- June 2001–2004. Interim Systems Librarian, Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario.
- 1983–present. Director of Reference Press, an independent publisher of reference texts and computer software for use in libraries.
- Editor and compiler of Who's Who in Canadian Literature (biennial, 1987–1999), Canadian Serials Directory, Index to Canadian Poetry in English and the Canadian Literary Periodicals Index, an annual index to 90 Canadian literary journals. Editor and developer of the Libris database. Libris indexes Canadian periodicals of historical interest.
- Contract database analyst, SOLS INFO project [the Ontario Library Database/VDX Interlibrary Loan database] (2001–2006)
- Contract database analyst, MARC conversion project. Province of Alberta (1999–2000).
- Designer and developer of Authex, a popular indexing software package, and Syllabus, a CD-ROM-based public-access catalogue used by the Ontario Library Consortium (1993–2000).
- Contract indexer, the Lawyers Weekly Index (1986–1992)
- 1980–1983. Computer Systems Manager, Software Programmer, Micromedia Ltd.
Member of the Trent University Senate and Senate Executive (2013-2014); Committee member, OCUL-SP (2014). Gord Ripley's articles, reviews and poetry have appeared in Fiddlehead Magazine, Canadian Literature, The Canadian Forum, Books in Canada, The Municipal World and elsewhere. He is a member of the Teeswater Highlanders Pipe and Drum Band.