Associate Professor and Department Chair
||705.748.1011 ext. 7897
||blew at trentu.ca
ECON 3100H Economic Growth
ECON 3110H International Trade
ECON 3620H Growth of the Global Economy
ECON 4040Y Research Methodology in Economics
- Economic History of Canada/North America
- Foreign Aid
- Diffusion of Agricultural Technology
- Trade and Technology
WORK IN PROGRESS
- B. Mak Arvin and Byron Lew. Development Aid, Corruption, and the Happiness of Nations. Applied Econometrics and International Development Vol 12(2). forthcoming.
- _____. Happiness and Air Pollution: Evidence from 14 European Countries. International Journal of Green Economics 6(3). forthcoming.
- _____. 2012. Do Happiness and Foreign Aid Affect Bilateral Migrant Remittances? Journal of Economic Studies 39(2): 212--30.
- _____. 2012. Life Satisfaction and Environmental Conditions: Issues for Policy. International Journal of Global Environmental Issues 12 (1): 76--90.
- _____. 2011. Are Foreign Aid and Migrant Remittances Sources of Happiness in Recipient Countries? International Journal of Public Policy 7(4): 282--300.
- _____. 2010. Does Happiness Affect the Bilateral Aid Flows Between Donor and Recipient Countries? European Journal of Development Research. 22(4): 546--63. Published online July 8. doi: 10.1057/ejdr.2010.28
- _____. 2010. Aid and Happiness: Untangling the Causal Relationship in Nine European Donor Countires, Global Business and Economics Review. Accepted for publication, April 2010
- _____. 2009. Foreign Aid and Child Educational Attainment in Developing Countries, International Journal of Education Economics and Development Vol 1. No. 2: 166--78.
- _____. 2009. Happiness and Foreign Aid. Atlantic Economic Journal. Vol. 37, Issue 3/September: 325--26. DOI: 0.1007/s11293-009-9175-9.
- _____. Does Democracy Affect Environmental Quality in Developing Countries? Applied Economics. Published online 19 August 2009. DOI: 10.1080/00036840802600277.
- Bruce Cater, Byron Lew and Barry Smith. 2008. A Theory of Tenure-track Contracts. Education Economics 16(2): 203-18.
- B. Mak Arvin and Byron Lew. 2007. Can Foreign Assistance Bring Better Air Quality to Developing Countries? International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research Vol. 5. No.1 (June).
- _____. 2007. Foreign Aid and Ecological Outcomes in Poorer Countries: An Empirical Analysis. Applied Economics Letters. 16(3): 295--9. DOI: 10.1080/13504850601018312.
- Byron Lew and Bruce Cater. 2006. The Telegraph, Co-ordination of Tramp Shipping, and Growth in World Trade, 1870-1910. European Review of Economic History 10(2): 147-73.
B. Mak Arvin, Parviz Dabir-Alai and Byron Lew. 2006. Does Foreign Aid Affect the Environment in Developing Countries? Journal of Economic Development 31:1 (June) 63-87.
B. Mak Arvin, Anna Piretti and Byron Lew. 2003. Foreign Aid and Export Expansion: Testing for Causality and Cointegration. Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali, No. 4: 459-92.
B. Mak Arvin, Anna Piretti and Byron Lew. 2002. Biases in the Allocation of Foreign Aid: the Case of Italy. Review of Economic Conditions in Italy No. 2 (May-August): 305-12.
B. Mak Arvin, Francisco Barillas and Byron Lew. 2002. "Is Democracy a Component of Donors' Foreign Aid Policies?" in M. Arvin (ed) New Perspectives on Foreign Aid and Economic Development. Westport, Connecticut: Praeger. p. 171-98.
Byron Lew. 2000. The Diffusion of Tractors on the Canadian Prairies: the Threshold Model and the Problem of Uncertainty. Explorations in Economic History vol. 37 (April), 189-216.